Monday, November 4, 2013

Weekend Recap: 5k's and Shopping for Chili with Cash Only

Hi Hello. Welcome back. How was your weekend?


Mike and I had a very lovely weekend that sadly we did not do a great job of photographing. 

Friday was all about kicking back and relaxing to a few of our FAVORITE shows: Master Chef Jr. and Shark Tank. I Looooooooooove Shark Tank. Kind of wish these were on a different night though. I'd like to not have anything encouraging me to stay in on a Friday. Though staying in ended up being a good thing because Saturday morning was race day!



I never mentioned it on here because I really didn't want to put any extra pressure on myself to train extra hard, but now that it's over I'm more than happy to tell you all about it. Originally we had a goal of completing it under 30 minutes. After not training as much as we had hoped and with the weird semi-cold I've been dragging around for over a week now, I was more than happy to cross the finish line at the 35 minute mark.

Mike and I both had a lot of fun on the day of the race and on our runs leading up to it. We made the decision in September to cancel our basically unused gym membership and to instead make an effort to get out off the house more. When we originally made the decision, I pictured "out of the house" meaning long walks in the park, casual tennis matches, or even a random trip to the indoor climbing gym. I think we were both surprised by how well the jogs around our hood fit into our schedule, and we've both agreed to keep it up best we can through the winter and into the spring.

Saturday night we met up with some of Mike's classmates to tailgate for the Homecoming game. Mike and I didn't get tickets, and by the time we were packing up to head home the sun had started setting and it was really cooling off. Back home we went to the coziness of our living room for more Netflix on marathon mode.

Sunday had only one item on the to do list: grocery shopping. It was also our first grocery run using cash-only. I think it might have been my only time EVER paying for groceries using cash. I've never been a cash person. So far 2 thumbs-up. We came out spending way less that I expected, were able to stock up on much needed essentials, AND still had money left for quick runs in the next couple weeks. Self five!

I don't usually find myself on this side of the peninsula


One of the meals we stocked up for was a big ol' batch of Socie Chili (Mike and Allie style). Mike loves making chili, and the weather was perfect for it. We also got to break in our new slow cooker...so fancy.  In addition to the picture above, I filmed Mike, cooking show-style, just for fun. We watched the clips this morning and were both very concerned about how our voices really sound. I might try monkey-ing around on iMovie to see what I can do with it. As much fun as these posts and pictures are, there's something about a video that really captures a moment.

Happy Monday! Here's to a great week and chili for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment